Monday, August 22, 2022

Sandwich Box

 My mom didn't use Tupperware or other such containers.  I don't know why.  We used Saran wrap (plastic wrap) or repurposed containers (cottage cheese, sour cream, etc.).  At some point in high school I started making my own lunches, consisting of little more than a peanut butter and jam sandwich.  Eventually it was nothing but the sandwich.  I ate a lot when I got home.  

I didn't like how my sandwiches got squished in my backpack everyday.  None of the old containers my mom saved were the right shape for putting sandwiches in.  One day I came across a greeting card box that was the perfect size and shape.  (I had probably used all the cards; I wrote a lot of letters in those days.)  I painted the box with some old acrylics and used it to protect my lunch.  

Several kids commented on my sandwich box.  They were confused why I would put food in cardboard.  I did wrap the sandwich in plastic first, I'm not a savage.  I was confused why other people found it strange.  I had made a solution to my problem, isn't that perfectly normal?  So far as I knew, no one had invented Tupperware for sandwiches.  I'd never been in that part of Walmart.  

Today, I have lots of sandwich boxes.  The store-bought, purpose-made, plastic kind that snap together.  Pink ones, green ones, clear ones.  Such luxury.  Have I mentioned that my kids are spoiled?

No comments:

Post a Comment