Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Fixer Uppers

Waiting for the baby to stop crying. I couldn't get to sleep, anyway. What did mothers do before mind-numbing computer games were invented? I guess that's what churning butter was for.
I love going for walks. Around here I enjoy looking at run-down old houses when I walk. It's a sick pleasure, comparing my pretty house to those less fortunate. But it makes me feel at home, the sagging roofs and soggy yard debris that bring back childhood memories. I can focus on small beauties: a sample of unique architecture under peeling paint, the not-quite-patternless networks of deciduous branches, colorful reflections appearing suddenly on murky puddles. Perhaps I don't need to be so concerned with 're-sale value'. There is beauty to be found in humility.

1 comment: