Thursday, December 10, 2009

Lenten Rose

If you were to ask me what I am most interested in, outside of my family, I would say, plants. I like plants. They're my friends. Today I'm going to talk about Hellebores, aka Lenten Rose.
It's not really a rose. It has five 'petals' like a wild rose, but they're not even true petals. This plant has lied to me. I was also disappointed to find out that it's not native to the US. It's European. Despite all that, it's a cool plant. It blooms in the middle of winter, which is way cool because the middle of winter is bleak. The color of the blooms can appear rather bleak, unfortunately; most Hellebores have green petals. Some are a cool mottled pink. I like those.
It has historically been used in witchcraft for summoning demons. Ooooo, scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment