Sunday, December 27, 2009

New podcast link

I added the "Prairie Home Companion" podcast to my list. I don't actually listen to it very often, partly because much of the music featured on the show makes my husband ill. I love the small-town humor, and I love listening to Garrison Keillor talk. I wish I had such intriguing stories to tell.
It hasn't been a quiet decade in White Salmon, my home town. The landscape hasn't changed much since I graduated high school, but the type of population has. I don't see so many of the apathetic, under-employed, aimless types that I was familiar with. This was a community ruined by the 'Spotted Owl Controversy' when I was a child. Employment was scarce for a long time, until we were saved by the windsurfing industry. At last we had something new to complain about--tourists. Slowly, the lure of tourism lucre spread the Gorge like rhizomes. Sail boards mutated into kite boards, orchards were shadowed by vineyards, real estate prices soared, and empty store fronts were painted brightly and stuffed with exhibits. This was the new type of people that inhabited my home: artists, adrenaline junkies, and wine tasters. If it weren't for the UAV company InSitu, I would say White Salmon has completely lost touch with reality. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but for me, I don't fit in here anymore. Not that it matters. I never liked it here very much anyway. That's why, when my husband got a job in the Gorge, we stayed on the Oregon side.
That's the news from White Salmon, my hometown. Where the women wear brown, the men are tanned, and the children are few in number.

No comments:

Post a Comment