Monday, December 14, 2009

When can I paint the floor?

Here is a list of the stuff that is on my mind.

Watering the Christmas tree.
Grocery shopping in the snow tomorrow.
This cookie is delicious.
What should I get so&so for Christmas?
Will my kids be obese within three years?
Will I stop being obese within three years?
Are my kidneys killing me?
There's a mess over there.
I forgot to read scriptures.
The bathroom is ugly.
How much longer till A starts school?
When will S start walking and stop bugging me?
Is the skin on D's thumb going to fall off?

As you can tell, there's a lot on my mind. My mind is not well designed for dealing with so much without getting skitterish. You know what's not on my mind? Maidenhair ferns. That's unfortunate, because I like maidenhair ferns. They are lovely plants that grow in lovely wet forests where no tree would ever fill his mind with silly froth like the aforementioned. Those trees are peacefully focused on sunshine, rain, and acid.
"Maidenhair fern" is a common name for the genus Adiantum. There are more than 200 fern species in this genus; they can be found in China, both Americas, and New Zealand. I had no idea it was so diverse. The species I am familiar with, which grows in our local temperate rainforest, is the five-fingered fern (A. pedatum). Here's a link to a picture:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/12/Adiantum_pedatum_09905.JPG/800px-Adiantum_pedatum_09905.JPG
I've always wanted to transplant one into my own garden, but i think you need at least a Masters in Botany to keep it alive, it looks so delicate.

No comments:

Post a Comment