Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What I intend to blog about

The world doesn't need another hero, and the world doesn't need another blog about the messy life of a young mother. So I'm going to present things that help take my mind off of what I obsess over all day and night (feeding and cleaning up after my three darling tornadoes). I'm going to 'Look Up'.

When I was about 14, I went to a county fair with my sister. She is terribly afraid of heights, among other things, but she had her heart set on riding the Ferris wheel. I had never been on a Ferris wheel before. We got into a seat, or gondola, or swinging bench, whatever you call those things on the wheel, and up we went. I soon realized that I wasn't too fond of heights, either. As I gripped the bar and closed my eyes, I heard my sister telling me, "Look up! Look at the mountains over there! We can see the whole valley from here!" It seemed poignant to me that she was the one appreciating the view, she who was usually constrained by anxiety. She had overcome so much fear and baggage to see that view, so it became more beautiful to her. I looked up, and it was a lovely.

Nevermind that the following year she dragged me onto the Ferris wheel and had a panic attack that totally freaked me out. That story would ruin my point, so we'll ignore it.

My point is, look up, everybody! Release your mind from whatever you bog yourself down with. Stop pressing your head against that brick wall, you're not getting anywhere, anyway. Think about something completely different for a while, and maybe your brain will work better when it's rested.

No comments:

Post a Comment